Sunday, May 10, 2009

Freedom, Art & Work

Havar, Fall, 2002
Antonio is 51, Carmela is 42, Verde is 15, Rojo is 9, Serendipity is 6

Life was busy for the Herendez family. Serendipity loved school. Kindergarten was a breeze and now she was enjoying first grade and learning to read. She didn't love to do her homework and Rojo often had to remind her to get it done.

"Ser, you have to finish writing your name before you can play."

Unfortunately, Rojo hadn't learned that when women make up thier mind, good luck changing it.

Unlike Verde who was well versed in the fact.

"Soccer is the way to go, it can be played indoor or outdoor, that's where the fame is." S'Ahmisha explained as they walked from school. Heavy stormclouds hung overhead, threatening to pour thier bounty below.

Verde nodded, knowing that he perfered basketball. Did it have something to do with that fact that S'Ahmisa was a better soccer player than him, he wouldn't say.

Instead he palmed the small water balloon he made before leaving school.

"I guess you're right, but-whoa! What's that?"
---

Meanwhile, Antonio and Carmela were preparing for the heavy thunderstorm. Antonio was desperately trying to pack up his current project, but inspiration struck and he had to apply that last paint stroke.

Carmela was calling Sandy Warwick to inform her of the coming storm and how S'Ahmisa would probably wait it with the Herendez.

"Well, I'm going to run over as well. Heck, we live a street across, I could make it before the lightening show starts."

"Why don't you stay at home?"

"Nah, S'Ahmisha and I have to discuss some things with you."

Carmela held her breath...what could they want to discuss.

---

Carmela sent the family upstairs with thier dinner, Rojo and Serendipity didn't mind. It meant that they didn't have to eat thier veggies if they flushed them down the toilet, even Antonio welcomed the respite and retreated to the master suite to read about the newest watercolor techniques. Perhaps Verde was the only one whose heart was wrapped in dread.

What are they going to talk about? I didn't do anything, I swear! We kissed a couple of times, but that's it!

Carmela was wondering the same thing. "Thanks so much for talking with us," Sandy started.

Carmela laughed. "Sandy, this isn't an interview for goodness sakes, our kids pratically live at each other houses."

Sandy smiled. "S'Ahmisa wants to get a job-"

"Why?"

"I'm doing well in school," S'Ahmisa began, "and I could use the extra money."

Carmela was confused. "Don't you get an allowance."

The teen nodded, "I'm saving a lot of it to travel the world, but...well...I want to get more money."

"She's so hard-working at home and school and not to mention the soccer team. I don't think she has time for a job, not to mention I also don't understand why she needs the extra money. Part of her trust fund is released once she is 18."

Carmela regarded the girl and then, "Who are you trying to help?"

S'Ahmisa dropped her fork and Sandy's jaw dropped.

"I...uh..."

"S'Ahmisa, we all know your heart is made of pure gold. You want this money to help someone don't you?"

The teen nodded.

"Why didn't you just ask for the money, sweetie?"

"I wanted to earn it myself. I didn't want to simply ask for the simoleans and then move on. I wanted to feel what it was like to earn them and then give it away."

"That's a noble reason to find employment," Carmela said. "I think that there may be some jobs in Apple Valley Metro. With all the expansion and construction, I'm sure some business is hiring."
---

Carmela often thought about finding a job herself as well. With the children in school, her days were spent doing light cleaning and cooking and playing online games.

"Carmela! Didn't you hear me knocking!" Rebecca yelled from the window.

"O! No, I'm sorry I didn't. I'll be right there!"

"Hi, what are you doing today?" Carmela asked her neighbor, sister-in-law and friend.
"I'm on the way to the Toy Shoppe, but Fiona gave me a call. She wants us to present an update of our reports and plans for the term at the next meeting."
Carmela groaned. "Thank you for telling me, I have to find it now."

---
Besides her position on the hood council, Carmela worked with the Homemaker's Society, but with only three members it wasn't much of a society, especially when the other two members were mother and daughter.


"Perhaps you could start some charity work." Her husband suggested one of the rare moments they were able to enjoy dinner together and alone.
"Charity work?"
"Yes, it will give you something to do and provide a benefit to the hood."

It was from that conversation that the Herendez Foundation for the Arts was born.
With the downturn in the economy not showing many signs of recovery, Carmela surmmized that the number of starving artists were increasing and that the world of art was suffering since artists could not afford to create thier art.
The Herendez Foundation for the Arts will increase awareness of and appreciation for the quality of arts produced and presented in Apple Valley by providing programs and services to promote and assist Apple Valley Artists.
Carmela decided to have two arms of the foundation. The Arts in Education arm would support artist education in the elementary and secondary levels. Including donations of supplies, equiptment and funding to expose students to local art and culture through field trips, lectures and hiring artists/teachers. There would also be scholarships for students showing high artist merit. The Partner in Art arm would supply fellowships for artists to move to Apple Valley to persue thier artist endeavours. This arm would also provide funding to establish a community art collection, hire artists for various events, lectures and teaching positions, and host the annual Arts Festival.
---
While Carmela was tweaking the business model of the Herendez Foundation, Antonio was busy with the Herendez Gallery.
Business was doing very well, true he was selling mostly prints and serials, with the occasional original art, but residents didn't seem to mind very much.
Business was doing so well that his suppliers offered him a wholesale discount due to the large number of orders he was placing.
The best part of the gallery was helping a sim find that perfect art piece for thier home collection. The gallery caters to a range of price points and styles.
The gallery was also a great place for artists to network. He bumped into one such artist who mentioned that she dabbled in sculpting.
"Really? My wife is starting an arts foundation. I'll have to pass on your name and number so she can contact you."

"Wow! Thanks! Please don't forget! I hate having to work as a recess monitor to make ends meet. I would love to have the freedom to create art!"
---
I'm so excited about this foundation! Not only will it provide an artist colony for some bohemian simmies, but infuse some custom art and allow more simmies into the hood. I'm experimenting with having playable non-playables so I can infuse them with backstories and occasionally play them and especially use them to play test lots.
Happy Mother's Day!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome update! I just love this town. It's so tiny and quaint...but rather modern, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of playable non-playables. I hatttte my townies. They're all the maxis townies, and all they want to do is disturb the peace. Most of them are eyesores, as well! ={

    The artist foundation is such a good idea! I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. -Crescent County, thanks. I envision it as a seaside village almost, thankfully the Metro gives me my urban fix-though it's not a large urban mecca.

    -Lemon Creek, thanks. I got the idea of non-playable playables from Laura (Lakeside Heights), before I felt obligated to play all my characters on the rotation. I'm hoping a sim or two from another sim-to-sim hood applies for the art foundation so I can play it outside my playable non-playables. Right now there are not too many residents that qualify.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I was the only one who flushed my veggies down the toilet!

    I love the idea of an artists foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charleston Sims LOL! You sound like my friends, I was the odd one who did/does adore veggies :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails